Personal stuff has limited my participation in the Ubiquiti community for much of this year, but I’m finally getting my head back above water. The biggest news is that I bought a new-to-me house on 1.5 acres and have been consolidating households with my girlfriend and her children.
New home means lots of upcoming technology projects:
- Pulling Ethernet to every room in the main house.
- 60GHz Mikrotik PtMP link between the main house, pool house and detached garage apartment.
- Building out a fully isolated network for the apartment dwellers.
- Radius-assigned VLANs for wireless devices.
- UniFi Protect and 5x UVC-G3-Flex deployment using a UCK-G2-PLUS.
- Deciding on more permanent placement of APs, which are presently strewn haphazardly across the attic. Or possibly replacing most of them with UAP-IW-AC.
- Getting complete coverage of the front and back yards using a combination of UAP-AC-M, UMA-D, and UAP-AC-M-Pro — there’s roughly 100′ of depth in the front yard and 200′ beyond the pool house.
- Attempting to order 2Gb/s fiber service from Comcast.
I’m also back to dogfooding the USG with plans to bring a USG-XG-8 into service as soon as a couple of show-stopping bugs are resolved.